Since 2012, over €35 million has been invested in, amongst others, a new brewing hall, new filtration units, a new steam boiler, new refrigeration compressors, a new barrel line, a new water purification installation and bottling plant. Thanks to all these investments and in spite of a continuous volume increase, the brewery has succeeded in substantially reducing its (raw materials) consumption. The brewery has also made huge efforts in terms of waste reduction and processing.
New sustainable brewing hall introduced in 2012
capacity increased to 350,000 hl, resource savings of 10%, energy savings of 50%, 30% reduction in water consumption & first solar panels installed.
2014: Voka environmental charter and sustainability charter
Commitment to 17 specific areas where the brewery chooses to invest in a sustainable policy.
You can find the details of the brewerys effort , https://www.brouwerijhuyghe.be/en/sustainability/sustainability-charter
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialisation and foster innovation
- Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable development
2018 Green deal Flemish government
by signing the Green Deal, the 14 breweries commit,
together to further limit their water consumption by 2022.
Our ambition is to decrease from 3.5 liters to 3 liters of water consumption per liter of beer
Action points that we commit to
- The use of additional rainwater
- Additional buffer tanks for well water and greenwater ( wastewater that's filtered to drinkable water )
- Production of additional recuperation water
- Optimisation of recuperation water use
- Recuperation water is used for:
Powering the steam boiler
Entire water supply for the barrel line, with the exception of the warm rinse water for the barrels
Bottling plant: all users except the final rinse water in the bottle rinsing machine
CIPs: all water
For the last 3 years the water has been analysed by a certified lab in accordance with the statutory monitoring frequency. In addition, the FASFC has already analysed two samples as drinking water.
So far all samples have met the quality standards for drinking water.
2020 Unitar pioneer certificaat
2020 Unitar pioneer certificate
Brewery Huyghe is aware of its responsibility towards society and the environment. Producing in a way that respects the environment, the safety and health of the employees and the population, these are basic principles of the activities of Huyghe brewery.
With this in mind, we signed the voka Sustainability Charter in 2014.
The core of the agreement is a set of 17 “Sustainable Development Goals” (SDGs) that must be achieved by 2030. The SDGs are divided into five pillars: people, planet, prosperity (profit), peace and partnership.
Our commitment was once again confirmed by obtaining the UNITAR pioneer certificate.
With this certificate we have proven that in 3 years time we have carried out at least 1 improvement action in all 17 points of the VOKA sustainability charter.
You can find all points clearly explained via this link https://www.brouwerijhuyghe.be/nl/duurzaam/duurzaamscharter
Investments over the years
Water consumptionIn litres per litre of beer
That means a total saving of 100,707 m³ on an annual basis
(equivalent to consumption of 629 families of 4 persons).
Electricity consumptionin kWh per HL
That means a saving of 2,234,000 kWh on an annual basis
(equivalent to consumption of 500 families of 4 persons).
Steam consumptionin MJ per HL
That means a saving of 44,334,000 MJ on an annual basis
(equivalent to consumption of 940 families of 4 persons)
CO2 emissionsin CO² per hl
That means a saving of 5356 tons of CO² on an annual basis.
That is equivalent to 535 Ha of forest.
Non-recyclable wastein kg per HL
That means a saving of 230,269 kg on an annual basis.
(equivalent to consumption of 377 families of 4 persons).